Body-Solid G6B Home Gym Review. Combining many of the features from the later G10B design into a more compact home workout system, the Body-Solid G6B Home Gym includes some essential elements to help you achieve your fitness and strength goals more quickly.
But is it the best home gym system on the market, and how is it different to the G10B? This review takes a look at these features in more detail, as well as covering some of the best exercise options available for each muscle group.
If you’re looking for a way to work for your upper and lower body muscle groups from a wider variety of angles than free weights can offer, it’s worth taking a look at a home gym system.
The Body-Solid G6B Home Gym is a definite upgrade over the earlier G1S Selectorized design, which only offered a limited range of motion in the main pressing arm.
In comparison, the pressing arm of the G6B is where most of the development time has been spent to create a wide range of exercise options, and more natural range of motion.
The bi-angular design means that this pressing arm not only moves forward and backward for pressing and rowing exercises but also causes the arms to converge as you reach the mid-point of each rep.
This is particularly useful during the chest press. Being able to bring the arms closer together at the top of the press leads to a more excellent range of motion, but also a better contraction in the upper chest.
With some different angle settings to choose from, you can also rotate the pressing arm back towards the weight stack, creating more free space for pulldowns and ab exercises.
Moving away from the pressing arm, it’s also important to point out the design of the various padded rollers and back support.
The Body-Solid G6B features enhanced lumbar support to help prevent stress on your lower back, as well as a set of foam rollers to act as anchor points for your legs when performing the lat pulldowns.
Product: Body-Solid G6B Bi-Angular Home Gym
Cheapest place to buy: amazon.com
My Rating: 10/10
Body-Solid G6B – Features Summary
- Patented Bi-Angular® converging press station replicates a free weight dumbbell press and produces 25% more muscle interaction.
- Chest, incline, shoulder press and leg developer stations incorporate the friction free SmoothGlide Bearing System.
- Self-aligning, contoured leg extension cuffs automatically adjust throughout the exercise movement.
- Integrated leg developer CAM provides consistent resistance throughout full range of motion.
- 2 x 3, 11-gauge mainframe construction assures maximum strength, function, and durability.
- Tough, durable, electrostatically applied powder coat finish.
- Perform over 50 club quality exercises including converging shoulder press, converging chest press, ab crunch, lat pulldown, pec fly, oblique bend, concentration curl, leg curl, leg extension, leg abduction, and much more.
- High-density, top grade DuraFirm pads with lumbar support.
- Telescoping, chrome plated, gas-assist adjustable seat post for quick, smooth adjustment and proper body positioning.
- Flip-up seated row foot brace plate.
- 2,200 lb. tension strength, military spec, steel aircraft cables.
- 50″ (W) x 85″ (L) x 84″ (H)
- 547 lb
Upper body workouts
One of the main goals of any home gym is to be able to perform the highest amount of exercises in the smallest space possible.
The Body-Solid G6B manages to provide enough upper body exercise options to isolate every dominant muscle group.
Being such a complex muscle group, you need to work the back from a variety of angles to train it effectively.
The G6B provides you with a high cable pulley for pulldown variations, pec fly arms for rear delt flys, pressing arm for seated rows, and low cable pulley for bent over rows and shrugs.
Although there are many more exercises available, these will provide the most significant gains regarding strength and muscle size.
Despite being a smaller muscle group, you still want to train chest from a variety of angles.
Thanks to its adjustable positions, the central pressing arm can be used for both flat and incline presses, with the pec fly arms being ideal for chest flys.
Featuring a high and low cable pulley, the G6B makes it easier to put together some useful isolation exercises for your biceps and triceps.
The low cable is perfect for a variety of curls (depending on the attachment used), while the high pulley is best for tricep pushdowns, pulldowns, and overhead extensions.
If you want to put together a productive shoulder workout that doesn’t involve free weights, you need to have access to a low cable.
This lets you include a variety of front and lateral raises, upright rows and shrugs. When rotated to one of its higher settings, the pressing arm can even be used for shoulder presses to target all three heads of the deltoid.
To develop a balanced physique and maintain your balance on free weight exercises or even day to day activities, you need to build a core strengthening workout.
The cable pulley positioned behind the seat is ideally placed to allow you to include weighted crunches in your ab workouts.
Training your lower body
Although many design features are similar to the later G10B, the main difference with the Body Solid G6B is that the leg developer is completely integrated.
The versatility of the pressing and pec fly arms allows for them to be rotated out of the way if you find you don’t have enough space for your leg workouts.
Unfortunately, the leg developer for the G6B doesn’t allow you to adjust the starting position for the exercise, or offer a padded roller above your quads to hold them down during leg extensions.
Apart from this, you can still perform all the same lower body exercises. Leg extensions and hamstring curls on the leg developer, as well as a variety of exercises using the low cable pulley and ankle attachment.
As the Body-Solid G6B is part of their ‘G’ range of home gyms, there are also many essential upgrade options available.
Listed below are a few of the upgrade options.
- GLP G Series Leg Press Attachment
- GIOT G Series Inner and Outer Thigh Attachment
- GCCA G Series Cable Column Attachment
- SP50 50lb. Selectorized Weight Stack Upgrade
- GRACK Gym Mounted Accessory Rack
- GAP6 Aluminum Pulley Upgrade – G6B Gym
- Smaller footprint than the G10B
- Wide range of upper and lower body exercise options
- High-quality bearings and pulleys create a smooth range of motion
- User manual provided details full assembly instructions
- Good basic documentation which also provides some recommended workout routines
- Compatible with a full range of cable attachments
- High, low, and medium cable pulley positions available
- Assembly time has proved to be longer than some similarly priced home gyms, at around 7 hours for some reviewers
- Requires some maintenance over time. However, all cable pulleys require maintenance.
- Therefore, all that’s needed is a simple application of Permatex silicone lubricant on the bars to keep the pulleys moving smoothly.
In Conclusion: Body-Solid G6B Home Gym
The Bi-Angular Press Arm combines with the three levels of cable pulleys to create a natural range of motion for over 50 different exercises.
The leg developer also features some unique design features, with the SmoothGlide Bearing System combining with the self-aligning leg cuffs to ensure you always get the best range of out of every rep.
The Body-Solid G6B home gym is priced around $2500. Therefore, we feel it represents excellent value for the money. This is after taking into account the quality of the design, the range of exercises options, upgrade options, the impressive reputation of Body Solid, and lifetime warranty.
I hope you found this article helpful. If you have anything that you’d like to share or any opinions on any of the content on my site, please do speak up. I look forward to your comments, questions and the sharing of ideas.
Note: Thank-you for supporting this website through purchases you make on the provided affiliate links.