Senior Healthy Living Tips. Are you living a healthy lifestyle? Achieving and maintaining good health is a lifelong journey. Some aspects of wellness stay the same throughout our lives (eating vegetables, exercising regularly), while others are introduced as we age (special health screenings, preventing falls).
But no matter what your age, chances are there are some things you could change in your life to improve your body and mind. If you’re in your sunset years, check out the senior healthy living tips below.
Senior Healthy Living Tips for Diet
- Eat a well-balanced diet. Your diet should include plenty of vegetables and fruits as well as whole grains, low-fat dairy, seafood, lean meats, eggs, beans, and nuts. It should be rich in fiber, low in fat, and nutrient dense.
- Limit your intake of refined grains. These include white bread, white rice, and pasta. Therefore, only switch these out for whole-grain versions for improved health.
- Limit indulgences. Although you don’t have to cut them out completely, avoid indulgences and guilty pleasures like alcohol, soda, sweets, fast food, and junk food.
Senior Healthy Living Tips for Exercise
Senior Healthy Living Tips for the Basics
- Visit your doctor regularly. Especially if you have specific health concerns, schedule regular appointments with your general physician, dentist, optometrist, audiologist, etc. Their personalized, professional advice is essential, making this one of our most important healthy living tips for seniors.
- Prevent falls. Falls are much more dangerous as we age, so avoid them by carefully preparing your home. Remove loose carpets and rugs, keep the floors clear and clutter-free, wear supportive shoes with good traction, and keep your hallways and stairs well lit. (I have night lights everywhere in my house.)
- Stay up to date on immunizations and health screenings. As we age, we are urged to undergo more immunizations and health screenings: mammograms, prostate exams, flu shots, etc. Therefore, consult with your doctor for more information.
- Protect your skin. Wear sunscreen every day, and be sure to cover your head when you’re in the sun.
- Don’t smoke. Although you may be tempted to say it’s too late, you never know how long you will live. Smoking can cause cancer, strokes, heart failure, and more. If you smoke, do your best to quit.
Senior Healthy Living Tips for the Mind
- Stay connected with friends and family. Keeping in touch with friends and family and socializing regularly is good for your mental health. Plus, it’s fun! Visit your local senior center, volunteer in your community, attend an event, or join a club if you’re having trouble making new friends.
- Manage your stress. To eliminate stress, try engaging in meditation or yoga. Exercise is great as well and will release endorphins. Everyone has their personal way of relaxing, whether that’s sewing, playing bridge, or going for walks, so find yours and use it to reduce your stress levels.
- Be optimistic. Try to have a positive outlook on life, embracing changes and confronting challenges with courage. Some people find that spirituality is beneficial to this goal.
Use these senior healthy living tips to strengthen your body, improve your happiness, and possibly even extend your life. Tackling them all at once can be overwhelming, so we recommend taking it (like all things in life) one step at a time.
I hope you found this article helpful. If you have anything that you’d like to share or any opinions on any of the content on my site, please do speak up. I look forward to your comments, questions and the sharing of ideas.
Note: Thank-you for supporting this website through purchases you make on the provided affiliate links.
How to Plan and Enjoy a Healthy Diet
3 ways your Fitness Benefits from Resistance Training
Energize your Weight Loss with these 10 Healthy Snacks
Simple and Easy to do Healthy Living Tips
Raw Water: Is it Safe to Drink?
Do you have Fitness Off Days?
6 Myths About Exercise and Aging
Fool-Proof Tips For Losing Weight After 50
Tips for Getting High-Quality Protein in Your Diet
How to Turn the Tables on Healthy Weight Loss
How to Effortlessly Lose Weight Eating a Low-Carb Diet
Greatest Benefits of Living a Healthy Lifestyle
10 Healthy Eating Habits That Will Change Your Life
How to Stay Healthy After 40
Diet Shakes: Are They the Simplest Way to Diet?
What is the “Clean Eating” craze all about?
How to Make Eating Healthy Absolutely Simple and Easy.
How to Stay Healthy After 40
Healthy Tips for Losing Weight
Are there Painless Ways to Lose Weight?
How to Live a Healthy Lifestyle
Scam Health Products You Don’t Need