Greatest Benefits of Living a Healthy Lifestyle. There are several physical and mental benefits associated with living a healthy lifestyle. With most individuals (adults and children alike) living a fast-paced, hectic and under-nourished lifestyle, it is no wonder that visits to the doctor, missed work and work-related injuries have increased at such an alarming rate.
Simply put, the human body is a machine that requires physical activity on a regular basis, appropriate nutrition and mental rest to exist at its optimum level. Just as a vehicle is designed to be driven at a high level of frequency, the human body requires that the cardiovascular system and the various muscle groups be exercised. By doing so, the organs are stimulated, the soft tissue of the body is flooded with blood and oxygen, and toxins are eliminated.
Regularly consuming a well balanced, nutritious, and whole foods diet ensures that the body receives the nutrients that it requires to perform the various bodily functions necessary to sustain life. Also, the immune system is strengthened, allowing the body to ward off many common debilitating diseases as well.
There are countless benefits associated with living a healthy lifestyle. These are the most apparent benefits.
Benefits to Living a Healthy Lifestyle:
- Reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes
- Reduction in the probability of virtually all diseases
- Increase the length of one’s life
- Improve joint stability, flexibility, and strength
- Increase overall strength and stamina
- Increase and improve range of movement
- Help maintain flexibility, balance, and coordination as you age
- Maintain bone density
- Prevent osteoporosis and bone fractures
- Improve understanding of wellness and spirit
- Reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Improve self-esteem
- Improved self-confidence
- Improve sharpness and clarity of mind
- Improve memory in elderly people
- Reduce stress
Statistics to Consider:
As listed above, there are several benefits associated with living a healthy lifestyle. By merely achieving a proper weight level, an overweight person can cut their risk of the following:
- cut heart disease by up to 25%
- reduce their risk of a heart attack by 29%
- cut their risk of diabetes by up to 64%
- reduce their risk of having high cholesterol by 33%,
- lower their risk of dying from any cause by 16%
- reduce their risk of asthma by 30%
- cut their risk of stomach cancer by 10%
- reduce their risk of gallstones by 60%
- cut their risk of osteoarthritis by 12%
- reduce their risk of esophageal cancer by 55%
- lower their risk of having high blood pressure by 44%
In obese people, living healthy will mitigate these risks by an even more significant percentage. For example, in an obese person, becoming fit can:
- cut their risk of heart disease by up to 77%
- reduce their risk of a heart attack by 48%
- cut their risk of diabetes by up to 88%
- reduce their risk of having high cholesterol by 29%
- lower their risk of dying from any cause by 33%
- reduce their risk of stomach cancer by 63%,
- cut their risk of gallstones by 60%,
- reduce their risk of esophageal cancer by 68%
- cut their risk of asthma by 39%
- reduce their risk of osteoarthritis by 25%
- lower their risk of having high blood pressure by 66%
Living healthy improves not only the physical welfare of an individual but mental wellness as well. Therefore, individuals that live a fit and healthy lifestyle tend to feel more comfortable with themselves and how others view them.
With today’s hectic lifestyles, many individuals become so busy with everything that is going on in their lives that they forget to pay attention to their health.
The truth of the matter is that if an individual merely devotes a small portion of time to their fitness, health, and nutritional requirements, they will increase their level of focus and productivity. And have more time and energy to devote to friends, family, work, and virtually all other
aspects of their life.
When you live a life filled with good health and fitness, you tend to feel more in control of your life. Since an individual that embraces a healthier lifestyle tends to feel better about themselves, they tend to be more open to trying new activities.
Furthermore, individuals tend to perform better at work and obtain more enjoyment from the activities in which they already participate. When a healthy individual feels more in control of their life, they typically accomplish more and have a higher level of productivity.
By being fit, an individual will be more willing to participate in activities that he or she may have otherwise chosen to avoid. Since participating in physical activities tends to increase an individual’s overall strength and stamina, the individual is more confident and tends to be more willing to engage in activities that require some level of physical fitness, from sports to volunteer work.
This increase in strength and stamina also improves the individual’s self-esteem. Strength training is beneficial for increasing or maintaining lean muscle mass and also reduces the effects of osteoporosis.
By embracing a lifestyle filled with good health and fitness, the risk of contracting several diseases can be significantly reduced. Therefore, healthy individuals reduce the risk of contracting diabetes, heart disease, several types of cancer, asthma, and osteoporosis.
Besides, living a healthy lifestyle also promotes lower blood pressure, reduces the likelihood of injuries and falls, and improves mental health and a sense of well-being. It is also beneficial in overcoming insomnia. Furthermore, even the length of one’s life can be increased by adhering to a healthy and fit lifestyle.
Final thoughts on Greatest Benefits of Living a Healthy Lifestyle
Living a healthy lifestyle is beneficial in many ways. In fact, an individual who is healthy tends to feel more confident and may feel more in control of their life. Also, the strength and stamina of that individual will increase, allowing them to participate in new activities.
Living a healthy lifestyle that is conducive to good health, fitness, and mental well-being reduces the probability of contracting numerous diseases and ailments and extend the length of one’s life as well.
I hope you found this article helpful. If you have anything that you’d like to share or any opinions on any of the content on my site, please do speak up. I look forward to your comments, questions and the sharing of ideas.
Note: Thank-you for supporting this website through purchases you make on the provided affiliate links.
The Benefits Associated With Living A Healthy Lifestyle, http://www.fitnesshealth101.com/fitness/general/motivation/benefits (accessed February 15, 2018).