Healthy Lunch ideas that Won’t Slow You Down. Breakfast is often called the most important meal of the day, but any nutritionist will tell you that every meal and snack is important. Lunch, in particular, is key to helping you power through the afternoon. Therefore, you want a balance of protein, complex carbohydrates, and vegetables to fill you up without slowing you down. A little healthy fat also gives the meal some staying power. That said, there’s a lot more to a healthy lunch than a boring salad.
1) Chicken, Grape and Walnut Salad
3 oz. grilled chicken breast, chopped (use a skinless rotisserie chicken to save time)
½ cup grapes, cut into halves
3 tbsp. chopped walnuts
Salt and paper tp taste
3 tbsp. plain low-fat yogurt
3 cups romaine lettuce
Mix together chicken, grapes, walnuts, and yogurt. Season with salt and pepper. Serve on top of lettuce.
2) Taco Salad makes a Wonderful Lunch
6 cups romaine lettuce chopped
1 lb 93% lean ground beef
1 pkg 1.75 oz pkg low sodium taco seasoning
1/2 cup cooked black beans
1 large tomato
1 oz corn – canned or frozen either one works
1/2 cup onion
2 oz low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp low fat ranch dressing
salsa – as much as you want
1. In a pan over medium heat brown ground beef. Drain fat. Add taco seasoning packet.
2. Dice tomato and minced onion and add to the ground beef.
3. Once the onion is tender add the corn and black beans and cook a few minutes until everything is thoroughly heated.
4. Finally, top Romaine lettuce with beef mixture, salsa, salad dressing, and shredded cheese and enjoy!
3) Another Healthy Lunch Ideas is Turmeric Chicken Salad
1 lb Chicken Breast
1/4 cup Mayonnaise
1 Lemon, juiced
1 tsp Turmeric
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1⁄4 tsp Garlic Powder
1. Drop chicken in a pot of boiling water and let it cook for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
2. Let chicken cool and then chop it into 1⁄2 inch cubes.
3. Mix chicken and all remaining ingredients together in a bowl.
4. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
4) Smashed Avocado on Toast
½ Avocado, cut into chunks
1 tbsp. Cottage Cheese, Low-fat
4 mint leaves
3 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 tsp. basil paste or basil pesto
Squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice
1 tbsp. crumbled feta
1 slice light rye sourdough bread
add S & P to taste
1. Lightly toast your bread.
2. Cut avocado into chunks and place in a bowl. Chop mint leaves and place in the bowl then add the tomatoes. Squeeze lemon juice over and season with S & P.
3. Now spread the basil past lightly over toast, then cottage cheese.
4. Place Avocado mixture on top of the cottage cheese, then crumble feta on top.
5. Serve immediately.
There you have it. 4 Delicious and Healthy Lunch Ideas that won’t slow you down. I hope you found this article helpful. If you have anything that you’d like to share or any opinions on any of the content on my site, please do speak up. I look forward to your comments, questions and the sharing of ideas.
Note: Thank-you for supporting this website with the purchases you make through the provided affiliate links.