Are you fighting a weight loss battle? By eating a healthful diet and exercising regularly, you can shed some weight, but then it’s common to get stuck. Furthermore, no matter how you modify your diet and exercise regimen, the pounds just stop coming off.
What’s going on? Your hormones may be the key. They influence appetite (when and to what degree you desire food), metabolism (how you convert food to energy) and insulin sensitivity (the degree to which your cells respond to insulin, which allows your body to use glucose). Your hormones can make weight loss seem nearly effortless. Well almost anyway.
Therefore, if you hit a plateau or even have had a reversal in your weight-loss efforts, it may be time for you to look more closely at your hormone levels. To start, have them tested by a physician. A simple blood test can check your hormone levels.
A knowledgeable holistic doctor will help you interpret the results and choose supplements or other natural solutions that will allow you to lose those additional pounds.
Important factors to consider:
How active is your thyroid? Do you know what function your thyroid has? Your thyroid produces hormones that your body depends on to regulate your metabolism. These hormones are created in the butterfly-shaped gland just below your voice box. If thyroid hormones are in short supply, you can expect to gain weight.
Assuming that your physician has ruled out any severe disease, you can start to beat your weight problem by optimizing your thyroid function.
For mild deficiencies, look into one of these daily supplements or, even better, a formula that combines several of them. Continue taking the supplements until the symptoms are better and then taper off. Furthermore, if there is no improvement within four weeks, stop taking the supplements.
- Bladderwrack (a type of algae) contains iodine, which the thyroid requires for optimal functioning.
- L-tyrosine (an amino acid) helps the thyroid to manufacture hormones.
- Homeopathic thyroid stimulates your thyroid gland to produce hormones.
If your lab tests reveal a severe deficiency, you will be prescribed a thyroid hormone replacement program.
The Power of DHEA:
Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is an adrenal hormone that enhances metabolism. DHEA levels naturally decrease with age. High levels of DHEA have been associated with the reduction of belly and visceral fat (fat that builds up around internal organs). Heart disease, diabetes, and other serious illnesses have been linked to stubborn belly and visceral fat.
If testing indicates that your DHEA level is low, take DHEA or one of the other following supplements.
- Sterols and Sterolins are plant fats that are chemically similar to animals fats but have different biological functions. Sterols and sterolins support DHEA production by the adrenal glands. Moducare Capsules contain both nutrients.
- Cordyceps Sinensis (a medicinal mushroom) also helps support DHEA production.
The Cortisol Factor:
Prolonged elevation of the stress hormone cortisol can contribute to weight gain. Because, high cortisol levels can interfere with the normal thyroid function and decrease insulin sensitivity, both of which lead to weight gain.
- Due to, stress minimizing techniques you’ll be able to curb your production of stress hormones. My favorite stress relievers include regular exercise, positive mental imagery, meditation, and prayer.
Most women understand the importance of estrogen, but they might not realize that excessive amounts of this hormone can increase body fat and promote fluid retention.
- The nutrient indole-3-carbinal helps the liver metabolize estrogen. Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and kale are all excellent sources of this nutrient.
The Testosterone Factor:
Testosterone, a potent hormone found in men and women, affects the body’s ability to maintain lean muscle mass. Therefore, a low level of testosterone makes it harder to tone muscles and lose weight.
- Natural Testosterone is available by prescription only and should be used when under a doctor’s care.
Is Insulin on your Team?
A condition known as insulin resistance occurs when cells become less accepting of glucose and insulin levels spike. Therefore, if tests for fasting blood glucose and insulin indicate that you have insulin resistance, try taking all three of these supplements daily.
- Chromium (a mineral) is of particular importance to balance blood sugar levels.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid (an enzyme that acts as a powerful antioxidant) reduces levels of insulin and blood sugar.
- Fish Oil (an essential fatty acid supplement) improves insulin sensitivity.
Final Thoughts on Are you Fighting a Weight Loss Battle?
Consequently, to lose weight, you need to understand what the causes of weight gain are. Besides a poor diet and lack of exercise, several other factors are contributing to weight gain.
Genetic predisposition, hormone imbalance, neurotransmitter imbalance (serotonin deficiency), side effects of drugs, toxins (such as chemical pesticides), and psychological reasons (such as stress, anxiety, and depression).
Therefore, if you get stuck with weight loss consider looking at the other factors that contribute to weight gain.
I hope you found this article helpful. If you have anything that you’d like to share or any opinions on any of the content on my site, please do speak up. I look forward to your comments, questions and the sharing of ideas.
Note: Thank-you for supporting this website through purchases you make on the provided affiliate links.